An exclusive committment to another person is difficult. Studies show that most women will be unfaithful at least once, most likely within the first 3 years of their relationship. Some of these indiscretions will lead to irreparable damage and permanent separation. I recently met with a group of women who discussed possible reasons for unfaithfulness and came up with the following list.
Women cheat because:
1. * X just doesn’t do it like they used to do it.
2. *X doesn’t understand the picture we show of how we want it.
3. *X used to make us feel beautiful, but suddenly forgot how.
4. *X doesn’t listen anymore.
5. We get bored and need a change
6. We get tired of waiting longer and longer for a little attention.
7. The cost of being faithful keeps going up and we are not willing to pay the price anymore.
Admittedly, all of us have cheated and tried to get satisfaction from another and we know how it feels when you accidentally run into your X. You pretend not to see them or feign a weak smile, struggling to ignore the clinching in your stomach. Such an encounter causes some of us to remember that our X was really pretty great. The pics you’ve saved on your smart phone prove it. You realize that your current relationship, which started out with a bang is now getting tired and shapeless. The same issues you had with your X keep cropping up in your current relationship (and maybe even some new ones). Perhaps you were really better off with your X. You remember how good you had it before you cheated. If you had it to do all over again, you probably wouldn’t have strayed. You wonder if your X will take you back.
You muster up all your courage and make the call. You eat a little piece of humble pie as you ask the receptionist to make an appointment with your X for color and a hair-cut on Wednesday at 1:00.
(* X refers to former hairdresser-just in case I need to clarify)